UPDATED POLICIES —as of August 12, 2021
Onsite Group Retreats at Wonderwell
Wonderwell will reopen for residential onsite group retreats in September! This is very exciting and we are proceeding with reasonable caution, keeping our eyes on what other retreat centers are doing and on the overall public health situation. Some details are still being worked out, but in order to provide a safe and comfortable retreat environment, the following safety protocols will apply:
- Vaccination Required: All onsite participants must be vaccinated and will need to submit a photo of their vaccination card as part of the registration process. Wonderwell onsite staff and volunteers will also be vaccinated.
- Mask Policy: Participants and staff are required to wear masks indoors during all programs in all public areas of the building, including the meditation hall, with the exception of the teacher who can be unmasked while on the teacher’s seat. Participants must wear masks at all times, except when in their own rooms or when eating meals.
- Limited Capacity: A 40-person maximum has been set for all residential retreats in 2021. This is to allow for adequate spacing in the meditation hall and dining areas.
- No Dorm Rooms: Single (private) and Double (shared) rooms only: This is to reduce extended close exposure of unrelated individuals. People who register for a shared double room must accept sharing space with someone they don’t know.
- Commuter Spaces: There will be a limited number for residential retreats.
- Dining Changes: The buffet line will no longer be self-service. Serving staff will plate food items for retreatants from behind a plexiglass barrier. Two seatings may be used to avoid crowding.
- Air Filtration: High-quality air purifiers will be in use in the meditation hall and dining areas.
- The date and time for the opening of registration for each residential retreat will be listed on the website schedule as they become finalized, and you will receive emails announcing when registration will open for each retreat.
We will be offering live online access for many retreats, including those with a residential component. At-home hybrid participation will be somewhat different from the purely online retreats we have been offering, but we are committed to providing the best retreat experience we can for all participants, both onsite and online.
Onsite Dharma Sundays
This fall we will be hosting one (1) onsite/hybrid Dharma Sunday each month (the other online Dharma Sundays will continue as well). Some restrictions will apply:
- Total attendance will be limited to 40 people.
- Advance registration (with proof of vaccination) will be required for all onsite attendees.
- Masks are required
- We will not be able to accommodate drop-in attendance.
- There will be no potluck, but open time for socialization will be provided after the teaching and meditation.
Local Sangha Sittings Return in July
Weekly sittings at Wonderwell will resume in mid-July. At first, building access will be limited to the meditation hall, front hall and bathroom, and the south porch. If you are not vaccinated, you must wear a mask to attend. Please direct your questions to the local sangha coordinator, Judith Coleman: .
- Thursday Evening Sessions from 6:00–8:00 pm starting July 15, lightly structured with time for discussion and sangha sharing (no snacks, yet!).
- Morning Open Drop-in (arrive and depart any time, quietly in Noble Silence) on Mondays and Wednesdays from 8:00–10:00 am, starting July 12.
Solo Retreat Changes
As we return to hosting guests for residential group retreats, access to our solo retreat spaces will be more limited. The Vajra Suite will continue as our main solo retreat accommodation, and the Garden Level Suite will be available for solo retreats mid-week/when group retreats are not happening. There are a couple of key changes that will begin right away:
- Vaccination required: For all new solo reservations, retreatants must be fully vaccinated.
- Meditation Hall access: Solo retreatants will be given access to the meditation hall as long as group retreats are not in session. Some other limitations may also apply.